Friday, August 1, 2008

Week 3 Concept

Hey guys, this is the new concept for my portable radio. After the group discussions in studio i decided to have a good look into practical ways of making it a functional electronic device. The battery hatch in particular needed a place in the design so ive decided it will be incorperated into a circular piece within the flexible band. The battery hatch is easy to lift out due to grooves on either side but remains flush with the band so it doesnt irritate the wearer.

I have simplified the overall design a little and it now has a more unique organic flow which i think will make it easy to associate with then the more 'chunky' shape previously.
I was concerned about the process of modeling this out blue foam but i have tested out shaping the curves and grooves of the left side and it is shaping up well. Hopefully the notes on sketch will explain other features so i dont rattle on.

Cya, Andrew G

4 comments:

Student Contributor said...

I can't breathe! It is so goooood! Ok I'm only acting that way because your accross from my computer and flirting with me, jokes.

ANYWAYS!

I really like this design, it's great progress from the previous concept. I'm happy that you chose a more organic feel and this adds to the aesthetic appeal of the radio. I love the ball like end of the watch which should be comfortable to wear and prevent the radio from falling off.

I'm also glad you chose to practice with the blue foam as it will provide extra confidence to get the radio done, a hint for all here!

Tuffff rendering as well. This radio reminds me off those Nike watches: http://www.bnwatch.com/images/SM0019-001.jpg

- Chris

Student Contributor said...

I think the shape of this radio is really appealing. I agree that it looks light weight and not clunky. One problem that may come up with the design is the fact that the band is made out of rubber. If this radio is to be used when exercising, I think sweat may cause the rubber to slide back and forth or even off of the person's wrist.

Overall, I think this is a really solid idea. I like the simplicity of it and I think the colors work really well together.

Emily C

Student Contributor said...

Thanks emily, ive designed the radio to be used during a casual state, sitting, commuting etc and is not really designed as a sports radio. In regards to the material it could be made out of a strong flexible plastic like clear 'low density polyethylene', which nike uses for some of their watches. It could also have a grippy inner surface to help it stay on. Thanks for comments :)

Student Contributor said...

Wow... extremely well rendered! Can you share with us what material/technique you used to get the color/texture (is it pastel)? Just one small thing, when you wear the radio while working the lump under the wrist might be a bit annoying (especially while typing). Great organic shape thou, it looks like a gismo straight out of the sci-fi comic books!

Jeff