Thursday, July 31, 2008

Humo design

hey all, this is my final concept im developing at the moment. I was inspired by the simple act of sitting at Mama Dukes and seeing a guy sitting next to me smoking. From that i loved the idea of the cigarette layout. With my radio the two parts are broken up just as cigarettes filter and body are. The body on mine is a 360 degrees LCD screen ghosted behind a gloss black finish. the top on the radio is the control knob and the middle bit is my speaker. Whilst off it looks like a normal tube but when the knob is pushed down it pops up revealing the speakers. from there the user can turn the knob to adjust volume or push and turn to tune the radio. I have also decided on a name for my radio after my inspiration from the cigarette, Thus i called my radio "Humo" which is spanish for smoke, i also made a cool logo for it that i shall attach with my radio. I think i should be doing graphic design with the amount of time i spent on the logo....hehe...its my own font by the way if anyone is wondering. Hope you like.

PS- Multicultural Week is on next week so buy a ticket for the jungle party on thursday night..(shameless plug)

- Ryan

3 comments:

Student Contributor said...

The design is pretty straight forward and simple but the choice of material is very interesting! I also like the way you are descriptive about the functions/material selection. This is the second cylinder radio that I know of and you might want to brainstorm/develop the final design after you have a chat with Wei-Pai. Since you are both thinking in the same direction it might beneficiary for both sides to know what the other has is thinking of. I think the biggest challenge with both designs is the user interfaces where the shape doesn’t offer much to work with.

Jeff

Student Contributor said...

Haha love the inspiration, who new cigarettes could do you good hey? i really like the overall appearance of this design i also like the colors and textures you have selected, maybe some funky pattern or cut-outs could make it a bit more interesting. Oh and the logo/name looks super!

Jason T

Robbie said...

Actually, I think the shape, although simple, is potentially a great user interface - if you work hard on it. Explore the options of what goes where, how big, the touch/feel of these things.

With geometric shapes, a lot comes down to colour and texture, so let's see what you come up with!

-Robbie