Saturday, September 6, 2008

Pain in the ass?

So here's some initial sketches of part of my concept. I've decided to try and design a device that can measure pain; how much pain a person is suffering, and what kind of pain. I've decided to focus it on chronic pain rather than acute pain as acute pain is usually the result of rather obvious physical injury. ie. gunshot wound = hurt. Not much of a mystery.
So after doing a bit of research I found out that all the pain messages in the nervous system gets sent through the spinal dorsal horn.
So... my design has a pad like receptor, with various sensors and monitoring devices embedded in it, that will measure things like heart rate, breathing, but most importantly an electrical signal detector that can detect the specific pain signals being sent through the dorsal horn and measure the intensity and frequency of these signals. This can be interpreted into the different types of pain, eg throbbing, piercing, pulsating, continuous etc.
Now I just got to work out a way to express this pain in a concise meaningful manner. Which will be bit of a pain. : - )
>WILL

1 comment:

Robbie said...

Will, this shows good research and is a promising project. Are you measuring the amount of pain, or the type? I think this needs to be one or the other, otherwise your design will be too complicated. What do you think?

-Robbie