Saturday, August 30, 2008

Measurement

Okay, so after spending class thinking about specific mediums to measure i came up with a few different possible concepts. I considered measuring temperature for the reason of deciding what to wear, or measuring feelings such as happiness or sadness. But none of my ideas really captured my imagination so i left it for a few days.
Having a normal conversation about getting burnt in summer i decided this was a brilliant idea. Therefore i will design a product that will measure the amount a person has been sun damamged in a particular outing. I liked this idea because of the scientific ease i can design a product, i was thinking something like a disposable patch, which can measure amount of UV rays absorbed. This is where i am now but there are so many aspects i want to explore.
-Nev

2 comments:

Student Contributor said...

Hey nev, yeh this sounds like a really neat idea. Simple yet interesting. This would probably help a lot of people prevent themselves from getting skin cancer. But I was just wondering, how could you actually display a level of burntness? Would the patch have like a dial on it or something? Also people can usually tell when they've been sunburnt, but is this just for mild burn.

Good concept though and I think it has potential
Jonathon

Student Contributor said...

I remember in primary school, we were given these badges that would change colour based on the amount of UV rays at a given time. They went from white to purple I think. It was a good idea because you can get burnt even when the sun is not at it's brightest and clouds are apparent. Maybe you could do something like that but improve it's interface because as I can remember those badges weren't very successful in their concept!

- Chris