Saturday, October 11, 2008

Laura




I vac formed this- it's the 'inside' with the screen and the buttons and the base of the 'outside' with the microphone. I'm going to put a piece of paper with a gradient of yellow to red in the screen and put a light inside to demonstraight the illuminating effect of the LCD screen. The microphone side will be constructed of bluefoam with black opaque stocking fabric stretched over. I'll use silver tape to apply the line around the base of the 'outside'. I've also got to tidy up the tail so it's not sliced in two, I think I'll shape the blue foam to cover it.
Laura.


3 comments:

Student Contributor said...

Hey laura.

Im not an expert on stockings or anything. haha. but wont the blue foam show through the stocking?? Also maybe thinking about printing your coloured strip on some clear projection sheets or something because in playing with glowing and lights and what not im not sure how well the light will go through the paper and if it does whether it will give the effect you want it to. It looks great. There seems to be a nice finish from what i can see from the photo. Cant wait to see the final.
Nick C

Student Contributor said...

I think Nick has a point when it comes to the stocking issue. Some sort of stretchy material that isnt see though would be better, like what Andrew G used for his back support system. Overall niuce shape, very pleasing to the eye and good quality finish.

- Chris

Student Contributor said...

Hey guys,

I will paint the foam in blue acrylic, (and then lightly sand to avoid any shine coming though) before covering with a stocking, I did a test and it worked. But the final will be a different shape then the one I tested so I'll keep the type of fabric Andrew's using in mind if it doesn't work.

I tried out an led and a small globe and the globe worked really well. I'll line it with foil to further disperse the light.

Thankyou for your comments and for bringing these points to my attention!

Laura.