Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Laura


My initial brief was to design a device that could measure potential levels of loyalty. But my research told me that factors relating to a person’s level of loyalty cannot be tested by immediate measures.


I decided that it would be useful to test someone’s actual level of enthusiasm by looking at their fluctuations in voice tone and heart rate. My initial designs had the interviewee knowingly having these measured. But in the pin-up forum it was decided that this would produce highly skewed results as they interviewee would act differently if they know they’re being monitored.


I’ve found that I can’t test someone’s heart rate without them knowing in an interview situation. So I think I’ll rely on testing speech patterns and that could tell me two useful things in an interview situation; the interviewee’s honesty and their level of enthusiasm. While people interviewing often get a strong ‘vibe’ relating to these factors sometimes this may be disputed in a situation were there is more then one interviewer. This measurement could be deciding factor. It could also be useful just as a neutral analysis for interviewers who are confused about an interviewee.


My main focus this time was making the device undetectable by the interviewee so I tried to disguise this as a regular piece of office equipment like an intercom and it would sit to the side of the desk but with the microphone in the direction of the interviewee.


I’m not really intending on making final design for the week so any comments would be greatly appreciated!
Laura.

3 comments:

Robbie said...

laura, this is heading in the right direction. I know it's a pity to loose one of the inputs, but in this case I think it's for the best result - and the best measurement.

I suppose the design will house microphones and some form of microprocessor. There is lots of freedom in the form, this sketch is good, but I think you could possibly make it less of an obvious 'device' and more like something nice that just sits on the desk. I'm not sure (but happy to be proven worng) how popular intercom systems are any more...

nice work, it shows good thinking

-Robbie

Student Contributor said...

Hey Laura!

The design is looking good...much more user-friendly! I think u have a lot of options with the form...have fun with it! Like to see this develop, good luck!

Jessica

Student Contributor said...

Hey Robbie and Jess, thanks for your feedback!

Yes okay, maybe I haven't seen an intercom since Charlie's Angels...

I've been experimenting with sculptrual forms.

Laura