Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Weekly Post...

Hi guys
Here is my Rapid® Sensing Technology in the preliminary stages of production! I still have to carve out the shape from the current block form…
Tips…?
1- Always start from a squared out block… I was tempted to use some left over foam and it made my job 10 times harder
2- Give a minimum of 10 mil edge around the entire shape in all 3 views so the thing holds together… (yeah… 10 is the magic number tonight)
3-(Do as I say not as I do) DO NOT attempt to design an object with multiple parts and complex contour curves when no one really cares about the overall shape… If a prism, cylinder or other basic geometrical shapes do the job why bother for more! After all the underlying design principles are what counts… right? ;)
Cheers
Jeff

1 comment:

Robbie said...

I completely agree - it's just that everybody DOES care about the shape of products! It's how we embody feel, purpose, emotion into what we design.

Also, shape can make a product stronger, more resistant to breakage, wear and tear - and let's not forget manufacturing!

It's a funny one - looking at mobile phones, they're nearly all based on a square box, with some detail to embellish the design.

-Robbie