Saturday, August 9, 2008

Foam "Radio Runners"

Hi guys, here's a couple of photos showing my "Radio Runner Grips", only made one, one image is photoshoped so it looks as if there's a pair. I turned down the body in my lathe as shown.

The handle is very thin for a good reason. To actually manipulate the controls of the partnering Grip you need some room for your fingers to open, close etc.
The platform on the top and tail is present for the radio's tunning and stop watch/pedometer capabilities . I could have simplified the whole top section by making a small multi-function digital screen but i wanted to make historic links to the first transistor radios that used manual dial bands and indicators. This model told me a lot of things in terms of ergonomics and the functionality. Controls which i assumed worked perfectly in my head, really turned out flawed in the foam but overall im happy with this mockup, now I need to tweak and rework a few things.

Daniel Dob.

2 comments:

Student Contributor said...

dan,

amazing. mill-tastic. lathe-a-licious.

ps. go out more.

luke.

Student Contributor said...

lol, point taken!
Dan