Thursday, July 17, 2008

Water Cube

I think the new Beijing aquatic centre is cool... Not only is the design innovative, dramtic, and exciting, the building is also environmentally friendly using solar energy to heat it's pools. The detail on the outside of the building was based on the natural formation of bubbles, which lights up with many bright colours. The scheme and design formation that was developed in Australia has added a touch of magic to Beijing.
image:beijingolympic2008.files.wordpress.com

-Sarah

3 comments:

Student Contributor said...

that looks amazing! you wouldn't want to get out (:
phoebe. L

Robbie said...

I agree, it's a great building because it references what's inside - water!

I'm not so convinced about it's environmental credentials though, you can't just slap some solar panels on and call it green. The amount of energy that goes into a new building is massive. I'll have to read more about it.

-Robbie

Student Contributor said...

Although I prefer industrial design related designs, architecture is definitely the second choice. I think the design of this building is breath-taking and fabulous, I can’t even imagine how it feels to swim under that ceiling! The rationale behind the bubbles and the actual shapes is quite interesting.

http://thenewdavinci.spaces.live.com
Jeff