Saturday, July 19, 2008

Cheers! Prost! Aheim! Salute!: My bottle collection

Ok so I thought I would post something that I own, because being a poor little uni student, it's difficult to purchase the latest designer products. For some reason I started to collect glass bottles and have been quite serious about it during this year (how dorky is that?), I think it comes from my dad because he collects things he never uses "one man's junk is another man's treasure".
 
I love the forms and detail you can achieve with glass, it's one of those materials that will not go out of fashion but not being highly environmentally friendly in the context of efficiency (glass is not a very good insulator thus needing the use of heating devices to climatize a building) I maybe wrong in a architectural way.
 
Picture description from left: Sprite, Alhumbra 1925 beer, Ramune Peach soft drink, Coca-Cola, Lucky beer. My favourite in operation is the Ramune Peach bottle, its cap is literally a glass ball (check out: http://youtube.com/watch?v=D8GKsWgh7zI&feature=related thanks to aussied for posting the vid), shape wise I think the buddha themed Lucky beer is awesome crazy. Yes I'm an alcoholic...kidding or am I? Muhahaha!
 
- Chris


Try ninemsn dating now! Meet singles near you.

3 comments:

Student Contributor said...

I agree its great to see all the different things that glass can do.

-Sunny

Student Contributor said...

My Dad’s a Mechanical Engineer who works on injection blow moulds for bottles such as the VB stubby, wine bottles and other spirit bottles. He’s been with his company for a long time and early on he received a special edition bottle design, only a couple hundred actually made. Anyway the bottle is like a ‘torpedo bottle’ like the ones @ http://www.torpedobottle.com/. The design’s really strange as it can’t stand up vertically (as it’s torpedo shaped). The shape actually comes from old German beer drinking villages who used it to keep their beer cold by attaching a string to the beer bottle’s neck and dropping the bottle in a deep pond or river. The bottle would cut through the water as it sank, the cold water at that depth would keep it ice cold, when it was ready to drink it was pulled up via the string. Anyway, it’s an interesting design and shape, their worth a bit now, collector’s items and all so keep a hold of your collection!

-Daniel

Student Contributor said...

Thank you both for your feedback.

Yes Daniel, that is a very interesting idea, sort of makes you stop and wonder of how simple life would have been in a quiet misty village away from todays technology. Instead we open the fridge door, skull our beer and run amuck in this brisk world of ours.

Ah well *opens beer bottle whilst flicking TV channels, surfing the net, read magazines, watching dvds, the usual stuff...*

- Chris