Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Alfa 166

Since everyone in my class will probably have to suffer having me talk about it, thought I'd put up my car.

Its an Alfa Romeo 166, designed by a team headed by Walter De Silva, however this example is also fitted with a Zender body styling kit.
 
While not the most practical vehicle, this car's styling, inside and out, form a large part of what makes it special to me.
 
Overall, the exterior is loosely wedge shaped. This, before the details are taken in, is intended to convey to the viewer a feeling of sportiness and to be honest, in such a large saloon car that is rather strange, although it fits in with Alfa Romeo's design rationale.
 
The details in my opinion are what makes this design special. I love the way light comes of the scalloped sides and the way the scallops rise in and out around the wheelarches. I also love the way the inner edges of the headlights are dictated by the bonnet shut line, which in turn outlines the base of the side window opening. The chrome highlights throughout the exterior are subtle but lend an air of luxury - the chrome door handles, and roof gutter strips, could have easily been made out of black plastic at a saving to the company.
 
So this is a design that is made by its details.
 
Marshall.
 


Making the world a better place one message at a time. Check out the i'm Talkathon.